It’s 2017. Who has time for shaving, waxing, threading and plucking every part of their body? Don’t get me wrong, I LIVE for a bomb eyebrow threading, and a freshly waxed lady part, but some areas of the body just do not react well to hair removal. Or you might not have time to work on every area if you’re a hairy human like me.
For about two years, I’ve been saying that I was going to get laser hair removal on my underarms because they are extremely sensitive to shaving and hair removal creams. I haven’t waxed them, but I’m pretty sure they would still have some kind of reaction and look dull and dark. Thankfully, my mom heard me talking about my plans to get the service done and bought me a Groupon deal for six sessions of laser hair removal. What a blessing! Not only am I finally able to get it done, but the money also didn’t come out of my own pocket.
What to do/know before laser hair removal:
- Do lots of research! I read probably 20 articles just so I knew what I was getting myself into. Most articles offered the same information, but I felt more secure after doing research.
- Read the reviews of the place you’re thinking about going. I go to Janelle Medispa in Bowie, Maryland. It has phenomenal reviews and an African-American staff, which made me feel more comfortable because laser hair removal is more difficult for darker skin tones and coarse hair. The fact that they are knowledgeable about laser hair removal for my skin and hair type was a huge relief!
- You might need more than six sessions. Unfortunately, it might take more than six sessions to remove your hair “permanently.” It all depends on your personal hormone levels. However, the underarm area is one of the best areas to get laser hair removal on because it reacts fairly quickly.
- Laser hair removal might not permanently remove all of your hair. You might have to go back and get touch-ups here and there, but the goal is to destroy the hair follicles.
- DO NOT WAX, TWEEZE, THREAD, ETC. BEFORE AND AFTER YOU BEGIN YOUR SERVICE. YOU CAN ONLY SHAVE THE AREA YOU ARE GETTING DONE!
My first session experience:
On January 24, I went for my first session. I was a little nervous because I wasn’t sure how the pain level would be and how long it would take. I made sure I shaved my armpits the morning of so that I was prepared for my service.
After I filled out some paperwork and presented my Groupon voucher, I was ready to go. My nurse explained everything that would happen and she told me to remove my sweater. She also said that the treatments would lighten my armpits because they are a tad dark. That was great news for me because it’s a little embarrassing. I mean who wants to have dark armpits? Not me!
Before gearing up the machine, I had to put on some eye protective goggles and lift my arms up in a folded position behind my head. The nurse then applied a cool gel to both of my armpits and then she turned on the machine. She moved the machine all around each of my armpits and I could feel it zapping all the hairs. It felt like cool air mixed with a stinging sensation. The nurse described it as rubber bands popping, and that’s exactly what it felt like. On a scale of 1-10, I would describe the pain as probably a 5.5-6. However, I do have a high tolerance to pain , so my word is not golden.
After about five minutes of zapping my hairs under each arm, I was done! The nurse instructed me to ONLY shave in between appointments if I see hair. My next appointment is on February 21st, so I go every four weeks (which means I’ll be finished in June).
Have a noticed a difference so far? Actually yes. My armpits feel really smooth and I don’t have as much stubble. Normally I would already have tons of tiny stubble after shaving, but I only saw a few the next day.
I will keep you updated during this journey!